Sunday, July 25, 2004

Poor Charlie

My big fat baby has been deemed to be very fat. Stunningly fat. Now I did know this - it is somewhat hard to miss, and we don't call him Lard Arse for nothing. He was this way when we adopted him, and he still wolfs food down like there is no tomorrow as if he were still stray. Charlie looks a few pounds short of collapsing to form a black hole as a result of this.

The vet feels that his bleeding is due to:

  • acute colitis of an unspecified nature.
  • chronic something. Very helpful, but hopefully his sample will reveal the something.
  • stupendous fatness.

So I am under orders to diet Lard Arse and have been given a special diet food for him. And the bugger will not touch it. Neither will the others, so if Ellie is refusing it, it must be absolutely foul!

To make matters worse, she has put him on antibiotics as a precaution. I have to pill Fat Boy twice a day, and due to his sheer mass, he needs two tablets a day. And he bites.

The vet has helpfully suggested that I coat his tablets in cream cheese to make them more palatable - yes, the same vet who wants him on a strict diet. I can't see it working, but for the sake of my fingers, I'll try anything. Thankfully, the cattery will have the responsibility for the last three days of his course.

I have been holding off putting him on a diet, simply because with the combination of cattery, moving house, and two new cats I thought that would be enough stress for all of us without trying to feed them all separately and restricting the food of the greediest cat alive.

However, the bleeding means that he needs to start losing weight now rather than later. I'm sure he'll cope with it all. It can't be worse than living on the streets for him.

In more uplifting news:

  • as yet, my hair remains;
  • we have our holiday money. Not exactly a vast personal fortune, but not too shabby;
  • I bought 60 organic free range eggs today (the only eggs I eat) for a mere fraction of the price because someone buggered up when ordering them. I'm going back for more later.
  • The Baron has still not touched a fag. It turns out he doesn't have an ulcer after all (great news) but had a bout of gastritis.
  • Our suitcase is packed. I know it is early, but Mum did it as I have so much work to finish this week. I'd like to point out she offered, I didn't ask.
  • I've just finished a report. One more and I am done for the day.
  • Willow passed her blood tests and is reserved for me. I spent half an hour in her cage with her on Friday and she is the sweetest, friendliest cat I have met. She isn't bothered at all by her eye, which is removed tomorrow.

Happy weekend, people!