Friday, February 06, 2004

Train tales

I was minding my own business on the train. Well, I suppose it becomes clear that I wasn't at all, otherwise I wouldn't be able to tell you this now. So......I was on the train, on my way to work.

A woman got on with her two children this morning, both teens. She sat opposite me, and pushed her snarly evil son into the corner next to her. Her daughter sat next to me, between me and a rather nice looking chappie (which is why I chose that seat when I got on the stop before).

The mother starts to harass her son, who clearly doesn't want to be up, much less conscious at the moment. He becomes rude and obnoxious. And loud.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see the rather nice young chappie gently start to stroke the thigh of the daughter. She doesn't flinch. Hmmmmmm........pervert?

The son becomes louder. I would normally tell someone like him to shut up, but he is providing some cover for what is occurring next to me. Nice young chappie has started murmuring sweet nothings into her ear, telling her exactly what he would like to be doing to her. Does she know him? She hasn't moved at all, and is staring at her brother. Is she scared? Should I say something?

His hand moves a little further up her leg, and carries on with its soft carress. Mother is still absorbed in dealing with her son, and hasn't seen a thing.

The train starts to break as it appraoches the station. The daughter still hasn't moved or reacted to him. The train stops. She gathers up her bags, and suddenly out of the corner of her mouth says, in the gentlest whisper:

"I'll call you tonight. Don't forget about tomorrow".

And she stands up dutifully with her mother, and without a backwards glance gets off the train.

Nice young chappie leans back, puts his paper in his lap, and goes to sleep until we get to Liverpool Street.