Friday, December 10, 2004

My head hurts

The scarlet hair fiasco was bad enough.

Fucking scarlet hair, but not all over. No, it was streaky. With reddy orange highlights, to provide that multi-tonal look.

I had to resort to a dark brown to cover the damage.

But that faded. To reveal the immortal streaky red. Which had not faded.

So I re-dyed it last night. Bloody L'Oreal again. It looked so good on the box. Chocolate brown with blonde hightlights.

They had a representative in the shop when I bought it. So, in the interests of not having hair that could light the way in a dark alley, I consulted her. She looked at my hair, and asked what I wanted.

I explained my situation and L'Oreal phobia, and she picked out what she called a "foolproof" colour for me - the chocolate brown with blonde highlights. It would be fine with my already coloured hair, she said.

So last night, I armed myself with the dye, some old towels, vaseline and I covered the mirror. Didn't want to scare myself.

The base colour went on beautifully. Then it was time for the highlights. I mixed it up and set to work. My carefully defined streaks were in place and I went off to play on the computer for the requisite 20 minutes whilst my streaks developed.

In my youth, I once decided that I wanted to be blonde. White blonde, to be precise. So I bought my bleach and set to work.

It turns out I do not have hair that likes bleach. It sort of lightened. Pelican crossing orange was not quite the look I was aiming for, but it was the best my hair would allow.

10 years later, my hair has not changed from that original stance.

I did not get chocolate brown hair with blonde highlights. I got chocolate orange hair with fucking orange streaks. That infernal fucking scarlet lives on.

But not for much longer.

In 15 minutes my dark "Brazilian Brown" will have had its alloted time and the fucking scarlet will be hidden once more.

Until the next time.