Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Charlie's adoptaversary

We've had Charlie one whole year.

In that time, he has gone from being a scared and vicious beast to a love bunny who wants to be held all the time. From permanently pissed off, to laid back and mellow. It is an amazing change.

Charlie's previous "owners" moved and left him behind. He lived on the streets for three months and was periodically fed by neighbours (when they could find him). During his street days he was kicked and beaten. By the time he reached the shelter he was almost impossible to handle. He bit all of the staff, and was days away from being put to sleep after a month long stay.

We were out in the vicinity and decided to have a look. I accidently turned onto the motorway instead of carrying on round the roundabout. But for some reason, I really wanted to go. I went to the next junction, turned around and came back.

There he was. A huge lump under the blankets in a cage, with a big notice asking people not to touch the cage. In blatent disregard, I tapped the cage to see who was in there. All I saw were the most beautiful amber eyes staring balefully out from the blanket. Pleading to get out of that cage.

I was not allowed to go in and see how he reacted to me - the staff refused to handle him. I looked at the Baron, and he just nodded. We took a huge chance, and said we would just take him.

He used to bite, hiss, scratch and growl at anything that moved, and a lot of things that didn't. He hid under the bed, and fought with the others (originally Harvey, Frankie and Ellie).

He hated me. He adored the Baron though and used to sit on his lap and hiss at me. Then one day, he sat on my lap. I rubbed his cheeks, he bit me but stayed sitting, and from then on, he has been my cat.

At this moment in time, he is stretched out upside down on my bed, in contact with not just Frankie, but Ozzy as well. He hasn't batted a paw at Oz once, and he is quite happy to share the bed with him. He tolerates Lila. Just.

He loves to have his head and face rubbed. In the last few weeks he has actively sought out belly rubs at night. He loves to lie on me when I am in bed, paws resting on my chin and whiskers tickling my face.

Happy Adoptaversary, Charlie. I hope we have many many more years together.