Sunday, January 18, 2004

The Plan

It is one of those January days that whispers to you that spring is on the way. Bright and sunny, and just a feeling in the air that warmer days are coming.

But that isn't my style. Anyway, much as I like the warm weather, the BBQ's, the lazy evenings drinking beer on the front lawn with the neighbours, there is one downside to summer.

Hayfever. The season is getting longer each year - starting earlier and finishing later, and the pollen count seems to reach new highs each year. I need to start my medication (if I choose to take any) in mid Feb now to make sure I am ready for summer. I didn't bother last year as I don't like to take medicine that suppresses an immune reaction. I decided that I would brave it out - things are never that bad in retrospect.

Three days into my hayfever, I seriously regretted that decision. I gave myself two black eyes with rubbing them, and I blew my nose raw. I had a permanently sore throat with the sneezing and coughing and sinuses that throbbed in time to Limp Bizkit. But the worst has to be that itch at the back of the throat that nothing can cure. Ice doesn't do it, scratching the top lip doesn't really help (but that doesn't stop me doing it anyway) and clawing at your throat makes no dent.
So this year, I am prepared. I WILL take it this year. I will not suffer needlessly. Sneezing at 90mph on the motorway is plain scary. I will take my tablets.