Saturday, February 21, 2004

Two fingers

I'm typing with two fingers. One on each hand.

I usually touch type- something I learnt when I left my University dissertation until the last week and had to write a 15,000 word essay on the role of carbohydrates in the initial stages of mammalian fertilisation ( the subject was reproductive physiology). It was really interesting (the field, not necessarily my interpretations), and I did really well as I got a First, even if I did leave it a little late.

(I drew little faces on all of the sperm in my diagrams. I'm sure that helped to bump up my mark)

There is no cat on my lap. No, the reason is more exciting than my usual excuse for poor typing.

My fingers aren't working properly. In fact, I can't bend them and they feel like they are on fire. Exciting, you say? Damn right.

I bought my first bass guitar today and have spent the day playing. In spite of 15 years of piano playing and 13 of clarinet, my fingers are suffering. The hand position is so different and I have lapsed in terms of practice of late. The piano is at my parents and I don't play too much as the Boy always comes and plays on the keys I am not using, but am about to. It usually causes a tantrum (on his part) so it just isn't worth it yet. I will teach him, but he won't sit still enough yet to make it any fun for either of us.

So I have serenaded the (poor) neighbours with the Offspring, Green Day and the Chilli Peppers. They get scales tomorrow, assuming I have the use of my hand back by then.

I'm off to soak my fingers. They hurt!

But it was worth it. Hope everyone's elses Saturday has been as much fun as mine!