Sunday, April 04, 2004

Sadness, madness, badness and guilt

It's a Sunday night and I am home alone.

Well, I'm here with the cats, so I'm not technically alone. I've been a good girl today and done all the washing, organised my desk, paid all our bills on-line and done two months worth of filing. I'm about to sort out my recipe collection.

That is something l thought I would never say! I'm 26, and not only do I have a recipe collection, I have one large enough to require periodic attention. What happened to me? When did I become a person who is in on a Sunday night with her motley crew of cats, drinking tea and going through her recipe file? Sad or what?

I'm trying to get things organised for the upcoming move. Which is looking less and less likely. We saw a house yesterday that I think is perfect - exactly what we are looking for and is in our price range. But the Baron thinks the garden is too small. This from the same Baron who feigns hayfever every time it comes around to time to mow the lawn.

So he isn't interested. The house that we have had our offer accepted on is a nice house, but most definitely smaller and in need of more work than the one we saw yesterday. True, it is cheaper, but by the time we have completed the necessary work it wouldn't be much cheaper and would still be smaller. So to me, it seems clear that we should retract our offer and bid on the other house.

The chain connected to the other house is still incomplete - the people at the top are taking their precious time over finding a house, and for us time is an issue. Our buyers are pushing ahead - the surveyor has been around, and we don't want to risk losing our buyers by having to wait in a chain that isn't even complete yet. So we need to move quite quickly to ensure that they don't pull out and leave us stranded.

The house we saw yesterday is owned by a family. A day before exchange and completion (they were literally packed up and ready to go the next day) their buyer pulled out. The property that they are wanting to buy is vacant and so they need a buyer quickly. Suits us fine - we could be ready to move in four weeks.

And the Baron? Still isn't interested simply because the garden is smaller there. Like you live in a garden!

Weird. My eardrum has started to twitch. I can feel it, and I can hear it. Now that is really annoying! I may be driven to madness if this doesn't stop. Well, at least closer than I am now.

Where was I?

Houses. Had enough. I want to move and be done with it. So I am seriously tempted to pull out of the chain we are in. The estate agent has been less than helpful, possibly because his commission is at risk if we find another property and pull out. He seems to think that being unhelpful will deter me from looking and I will just wait. Bollocks. I'm determined to make sure that he doesn't get a penny in commission.

I know I am bad. But I feel very guilty that I will force the family who lives in the house we originally offered on to put their house on the market. It will sell, and given the chain is incomplete, they shouldn't have a problem, but I feel bad that I will disappoint them.

Ear has stopped misbehaving. Woohoo! It hurts now, true, but that isn't as annoying as twitching.