Sunday, May 30, 2004

Bollocks

I have my first ever speeding ticket. It was only a matter of time. I was caught doing 89mph in a 70mph zone and am now the not so proud owner of three points on my licence.

Bugger.

The Baron went out last night. He went to a work party (I really didn't want to go with him), and I went and had Chinese with my sister and her partner. She went to bed early and we sat up drinking, talking and listening to music. I had a fun night.

The Baron did not. He drank a little too much - ok, far too much, and lost the contents of his stomach. Repeatedly. And then passed out. In the pool of stomach contents.

Lovely or what? Luckily, he had a good friend with him who didn't abandon him, but stripped him, got him in the car and brought him home. He deserves a medal.

I got home to see Harvey's face peering out of the catflap, looking somewhat desperate for someone to come home and get the smelly thing out. The Baron was passed out on the sofa. I put a blanket on him, put his clothes in the washing machine and went to bed.

But other than cleaning the house at 3AM, I did have a pleasant evening.

It was strange walking home at 2.45AM. So quiet and calm. It was clear and I could see lots of stars as one of the street lights was out. Birds were singing. I always find that strange whenever I am out at that time - I just don't expect birdsong.

One of the songs we listened to last night was "Blues for Meister" by the Chili Peppers. Because I am learning the bass guitar, I listen to a lot of their music, but this one had eluded me. It is a tribute written and sung (badly) by the bassist, Flea, to his cat.

"Have some respect, for my cat,

"Who got squashed by the wheels of a Cadillac"

and

"Me and my pussy, we lost our flow,

"Goodbye my sweet little calico"

Very sweet, if slightly strange. Very cool bass line. Not typical rock and roll behaviour, but a very heartfelt song. The kind of sappy thing I'd do for one of my bunch.

Speaking of whom.........Ellie has taken to talking to the insects as she commences torturing them. Little chirrups and grumbles from deep down in her throat. I caught her torturing a spider by removing its legs, one by one. And she was talking to it. Knowing her, she was telling the poor bastard exactly what she was going to do to it.

It's raining. Time to get the washing in, methinks.