Sunday, May 09, 2004

My hair

I want to tell you about my hair.

I have hair. Lots of fine hair all over my head. Not that unusual.

The vast amounts of static I generate are noteworthy, but still not that unusual. Painful at times though.

The cut is shoulder length (ish) with layers. Nothing outlandish.

Colour? Now we are talking. My hair is chocolate brown naturally, and last summer I had some highlights put in, but they are almost all grown out. Again not, not hair that turns heads.

So, in the interests of making my hair that bit special, I invested in some permanent hair colour. By L'Oreal. Because I am worth it.

I chose dark brown, and the dye came with highlighting equipment for "multi tonal depth". Or some bollocks like that - I should read packets with more care.

I checked the colour swatches, and checked the examples on the box. WIth chocolate brown hair, I could expect beautiful glossy brown hair with lighter brown highlights. Lovely, and just what I wanted. I've been most colours of the rainbow, and am happy with nice brown. I just fancied something a little more sultry.

My sister and I and slapped the dye on. We waited the requisite 25 minutes to allow the colour to develop, washed it out, towel dried it and applied the highlighting cream to well chosen strands of my hair. We waited the 20 minutes that took to "develop a natural colour" and rinsed. Conditioned. and looked in the mirror.

I do not have glossy brown hair with lighter highlights. Oh no. That dream died when I looked in the mirror.

I have fucking scarlet hair with dark red highlights. I look like a 16 year Goth with severe angst. Scarlet bloody hair. With red highlights.

I have to go to work tomorrow. And all I own are black suits that makes my hair glow like burning embers. I won't be hiding in an office tomorrow - my hair shall light the way to wherever I hide.

Piss to L'Oreal.