Wednesday, January 21, 2004

Grismal day

I brought in a shepherds pie to reheat for my lunch, because it is such a miserable day. Sandwiches just don't cut it when it is drizzly and dreary. I have just found out that there is no microwave, so that means no lunch unless I venture out into the rain and buy some.

The only problem with that is that I am not paid until Friday. When you think that I was last paid on the 23rd October 2003, and that I didn't sign on whilst not working, it is pretty clear why we currently have no money. The Baron's pay has all gone on house related expenses, and hasn't covered everything, hence the astronomical overdraft we now have.

I keep some emergency biscuits in the car. I may have to eat those. It's half ten in the morning and I am hungry already. I won't be home until at least five this evening, so it looks like a long day. I'm scared that my stomach may digest itself just to keep busy.

I spent the evening with the Boy yesterday. He wasn't as melodramatic as he was on Monday night (his cold is getting better), but he still has a bee in his bonnet. The subject changes hourly, but the bee stays firmly put.

Last night's major strop was that it is my birthday before his. I did try to explain that he should take that up with his mother and my mother as the people who had some input into that, but he still thinks that it is my fault and that we should swap birthdays so that it is his first. He knows that he is a Very Important Person and so he thinks he should come first in everything.

I'm in no hurry to turn twenty six, so if it were down to me, I personally would agree. But as the law probably wouldn't, I had to tell him no and that it would have to be my birthday first. So he cried.

And the upshot? We will pretend that it is his birthday now and in August, and he gets to open all but one of my presents. Again. Because I haven't opened my own birthday presents since 2000, which was when he was one and a half and had discovered the joys of present opening. This way I get to open one present a year (yes, he opens my Christmas presents for me too). The trials and tribulations of Auntydom.


A little later...........

I have just had a very unusual conversation:

"Do you have a thing about using two spaces after a full stop?" Says colleague peering over his laptop, glasses slightly askew and hair showing the effects of this morning's exposure to the rain and damp.

"Urm. Yes, I do." Picture me with a very quizzical expression - more Penfold than DMouse.

"Why?" Asks colleague, staring at me like I have announced that I am in fact a man in drag and that my name is Pete.

"Because it is standard to use one space after a comma, and two after a full stop. That is what you are supposed to do." Duh"

Is he crazy? Is he having me on? Is this his strange idea of a joke?

"I didn’t know that - I’ve never heard that before. I've just edited your entire report to remove the extra space. That is how we do it here."

I don’t think he is joking. He is completely serious, and peering over, I see he has indeed edited my entire report. Since he has also disabled the grammar check (arrogantly or ignorantly I don’t know), the screen hasn't filled with the little green lines to tell him of the error of his ways.

"Ok." I can't really think of much else to say to that. What is there to say?

Apparently I need to stop adding a second space after a full stop, because my manager won't like it either, and will edit it himself, or more likely, make me edit them out.

I don't think so. I won’t be changing to rules of grammar to fit in with his misconceptions. The second space stays and that isn't negotiable.

Post lunch..........

I couldn't stand the hunger pangs anymore. I bought a sandwich. The beauty of buying lunch after the rush is that sandwiches are marked down to half price to get rid of them. That made me feel a little better, and I shall have my shepherd's pie tonight for dinner instead. Or maybe the Baron will.

He is off with his pulled muscle, but I wish he wouldn't keep calling me just because he is bored. We lost internet access for a while yesterday due to a technical fault, and he was so edgy the whole time. He has no ability whatsoever to amuse himself (apart from the obvious) and so just annoys me instead.

I'm bored too. I am about ready to call it a day. I want to go home!!!!!!!