Saturday, January 24, 2004

A not unusual day here

The promised cold spell seems to have arrived. I am freezing cold. The cats are snuggled down into my quilt, and all I can see is the tips of their ears peeking out.

I had the windscreen replaced this morning. It was fun to watch, but even more fun to watch the bloke struggling to do his job with the help of Harvey and Frankie. Harvey insisted on following him to and from the van, and even had to inspect the contents of the van to make sure that they met with his approval. He also had to check that the correct tool was being used. When I tried to catch him, he buggered up the nearest tree and watched from there.

Frankie was more interested in trying to jump onto my new windscreen, which was spread across a large trestle. Since I wanted a non cracked screen to replace my cracked one, I spent a lot of time trying to stop him jumping on it him and get him indoors. Of course, while I was busy with Frankie, Harvey snuck back down the tree (he hasn't figured out I can see what he does when there are no leaves on the tree), and tried to get back in the van.

I grabbed Frankie just as he was about to pounce (and most likely shatter) my new windscreen, and posted him through the cat flap. Harvey watched on, tail swishing. At that point the Autoglass bloke took out a can from the van and gave it a good shake. Harvey thought it was some kind of giant flea spray and dived back into the safety of the van. I yanked him out and tried to get him in the house. He escaped from my grasp with the aid of some nifty claw work and sat in front of the van, his eyes never leaving the supposed giant flea spray.

I turned to face him, and made to grab him. Harvey swore and fled under the van. Unfortunately for him, the van had high suspension and I reached round the rear wheel and grabbed the scruff of his neck. He swore again, spat for good measure and was dragged out kicking and screaming. The Autoglass bloke looked on in complete shock as I hauled him out and picked him up. I held on to him tightly, and offered him for a cuddle. Autoglass bloke beat a hasty retreat and contined with his work, muttering something about psychotic cats.

Harvey was also posted without ceremony through the cat flap, accompanied by indignant wails. He is now sleeping peacefully, no doubt dreaming of his revenge.

Which reminds me. We have roast beef planned for lunch tomorrow. Full security measures will be in place to prevent any feline related loss. The Beef Thief will be thwarted in any attempts to filch the leftover joint.

The Baron and I have decided that we will go to the US this year. It is against our better judgement, but for the sake of family harmony and the chance to give my mother a wonderful surprise we have decided to put our personal feelings aside and go.

So, to assuage my (considerable) guilt caused by abandoning my principles, I will be making myself some T-shirts with some pertinent logo's. I don't really want to get arrested (actually, part of me does, just so I can cause an international incident!), so they won't be offensive, unless viewed by a terminally pathetic person, but will just be an expression of free speech.

One will have a picture of a cat's paw, claws unsheathed, saying simply "Don't Mutilate; Manicure!". I wanted to add a picture of a thorn bush on the back, with the logo saying "Mutilate a Bush instead" but the Baron has vetoed that idea. That is as far as I have got, but I have until August to work on them.

I'm going to try to put the heating on. I'm losing the feeling in my fingers. Oh and the nails are turning blueish. Not so good.