Sunday, March 14, 2004

Enjoying things more

I'm really enjoying the househunting now I don't have to worry as much about the selling of ours side of things. I love nosing round houses, and especially kitchen cupboards.

So far we have one contender that we can both agree on. Location is bang on but the bedrooms are a little on the small side. However, another house we looked at that cost more and had the same great location didn't have rooms that were any bigger.

So for the fun of it, I worked out how much we could save from our equity (house is below budget) and thus how much we could spend if we wanted to on making it our dream home. Then I went fantasy shopping:

1 new dishwasher (ours will stay here as taking it out will damage the wall too much)
1 condensor tumble dryer for those typical British summertime days
1 new hoover. Just because.
1 new hifi system. We currently use the computer but that will go in the office.
1 espresso machine. Always wanted one.
1 iron. I am embarrassed to admit I don't have one.
1 ironing board.
1 whirly gig. I am hopeful that we might see the sun one day.
1 compost bin.
1 sofa bed. So people can stay over.
2 wardrobes. For the master bedroom.
1 bed frame. It is time to leave the dizzy heights of the loft bed behind.
Laminate flooring downstairs. Four cats, enough said.
Spot lights downstairs.
A conservatory.
New paint throughout - I have taste after all!
Shelves.
Wooden blinds.
Cat safe plants for the house and the garden.
Some garden furniture.

And that is it. Not much!

However, my initial figures (and bear in mind I am a sad accountant, so they are quite detailed) suggest that we can do this and still have enough to pay most of our debts off as well. Doubly good! Fantasy shopping it might be, but the frugal habits still prevail. Just pretend I didn't buy a bass guitar on a whim.

Saying that, I did play for a couple of hours last night, so it does get used. I'm not a real threat to the Chilli Peppers yet, but I am having fun. Especially because Frankie goes bonkers when I play. He chases his tail whilst balanced on the ladder.

The Baron is singing in the bath at the moment. I don't think he will be snapped up anytime soon either.