Monday, February 23, 2004

Ouch

Shortly after last night's post, Charlie bit me.

My crime? Trying to stop him using my sofa as a scratching post. At least both hands hurt equally now, I suppose.

We are friends again though. Harvey just smacked him in the head, so they aren't, but other than that, all is peaceful. Charlie likes little safe hidey holes (fair enough) and so is hidden behind my shelf of work files. Which will come crashing down shortly when he ventures out again. Sigh. I spent all morning sorting those and I have already had to pick them all up twice after a cat attack.

Despite the biting, and the file rearranging, and the fur everywhere, and the litter cleaning and all the other little annoyances, I love being owned by cats.

Home never feels empty. It is impossible to feel sad with a cat around; they can sense moods and their mere presence is soothing to a troubled mind. Their purring is music to the disturbed soul, and their gentle kneading is pure pleasure to a tired and aching body.

There is nothing quite like being woken by four cats seeking your love and affection. I wake to find myself covered in cats stretched out, purring and rubbing their faces on me. Harvey on my left side, paws round my neck and his head pressed into my neck purring; Frankie wrapped around my head and with his cheek against mine and his whiskers often up my nose; Ellie sprawled across my feet and purring to herself; and finally Charlie, laying against my back and his paws up in my arm to get me to roll over and stroke his big beautiful head.

Now if I could only train them to bring me a cup of tea in bed........