Saturday, December 20, 2003

A cat's life

Harvey is sulking because he thinks it is my fault that it is raining. You can see the thoughts playing through his head:

"Wet stuff? Make it stop NOW! You can open doors and those weird foil food packets - you have the power. I want in!"

But of course, 10 seconds later, he has forgotten why he came back in. and wants back out again. I read a great quote once:

"Cats want to be out when they are in, in when they are out, and sometimes both simultaneously"

Whoever wrote that has obviously got a previous incarnation of Harvey. I swear he has personality issues. He gets this look in his eyes sometimes, and you just know he is plotting the downfall of the human race. At that point it is wise not to even try to touch him, and averting your gaze is a good move.

Then, like now, he sleeps with such a serene smile on his face. No doubt he is dreaming of the world once he and his fellow feline henchmen are in power. He looks so happy. And if there was a cat that could pull off world domination, he'd be up there with the best of them.

Frankie and Ellie are nothing like that. Frankie has magpie tendencies and will steal anything not actually firmly secured - this includes earplugs, pill packets, glasses, lighters, cigarette packets (and not just the boxes of 20, but a box of 200 if you are stupid enough to leave them out), packets of biscuits (and that is the human and cat varieties) and my personal favourite, underwear. I have watched him sneak off with my knickers and stash them in his hidey hole. Ellie just likes to rub up against everything. So one power crazy lunatic (maybe we should have called him George?), one thief and one horny little devil.

Still, they keep me amused. And warm at night. Since the Baron is a quilt thief of the highest order, this is necessary. I wonder if I can train Frankie to steal the quilt from him?