Monday, December 29, 2003

Diet

I have joined the hordes of New Year dieters. May we all be successful and svelte.

I have a couple of days gorging to clean out the fridge and freezer, and then the path to slenderness stretches out leading to the summer.

Actually.........I really hate dieting. I think it is miserable and boring, and it makes people miserable and boring. All that healthy food and exercise talk, when we really want to be scoffing buns. Fools no-one! But it needs to be done, for health and fitness. I won't go down the vanity route. Focusing on being slim reminds you that you are not, and starting with low self esteem is a recipe for failure. And anyone who dares to comment on my size (which is not obscene, by the way, just a little more rotund than I would like), well I'll come and sit on you and we can discuss it!

The Baron is at work, the cats are going crazy because of the rain, I don't have the heart to write my report (mainly because I would have to go to the car to get the paperwork which is in the boot, and I don't want to get wet) and yet again I can't get the heating to work!!!!

On the upside, I made two phonecalls today and saved £55 a month. I cancelled an excess insurance policy (I took it out because they were offering some good money off vouchers that came to more than the first months premium, which is all I needed to pay to qualify) and then I called the electricity/gas company.

Now they are always good for a laugh. I changed to them last year after my previous supplier "mistakenly" charged us for the consumption of the entire road. We have a one bed open plan house, so we don't have high bills, so it is beyond me how they thought they could slip that in without us noticing!

Anyway.........we swapped after that. The new company took care of everything. The first bill arrived. And was higher than that previously received for the entire street. They claimed it was right, I told them they were talking out of their arses. They insisted I had to start repaying the bill ,and for the sake of my credit rating I agreed to payments of £60 a month, knowing that when it was resolved I would have a nice credit note.

I took another meter reading and gave it to them. Turns out my reading was significantly lower than the reading they took when I switched to them, and that their meter reader was seriously crap. That resulted in a large credit to my account, which I kept instead of cashing - with winter coming I knew the bills would increase.

Forward to today. I have been working on our budget, and I decided I would call to see if I could reduce the payment to free up some cash. Apparently, I have a whopping £380 in credit!!! Despite that, they won't let me reduce my payments below £30 a month, but that frees up some more money to get rid of my graduate loan (and my career development loan, and my deferred student loan, and those pesky credit cards).

Ellie has just got herself stuck in the cat flap. She isn't allowed out yet, since she is so tiny, but she snuck through when I was letting Harvey back in. Harvey is playing the Hokey Cokey today, and I am the door attendant. Poor Ellie wants to be outside with her brothers, and she cries so much when they are gone. Like now she is sat at the door howling piteously for Harvey and Frankie to come back to her/ me to let her out to be with them. She doesn't cope well alone.

Actually, that isn't strictly true. I've just realised that Frankie is in, but I hadn't seen him. He is pure black and he is curled up in a dark blue cat doughnut. When he does that, he is almost invisible. So I spend a lot of time looking for him outside when he is snug and warm in here. I do check before I look outside, but I can look at him and just not see him when he is in there. That happens a lot round here. He likes to hide under my quilt too.

I need to tidy my desk. The cats let me know that they weren't happy with it by emptying my file all over the floor. In the spirit of a truely organised person, that file was full of stuff to file. So from an organised chaos comes just plain chaos.

In fact, that is my entire life at the moment. Budgets and diets are just plasters over the mess.